Saturday, October 9, 2010

DIGITS HOT BOX

The season up till now has been strange to say the least for the Karkloof valley, normally our summer starts mid September, and our summer is not "normal" compared to other parts of the country or Pietermaritzburg for that matter. Summer in the Karkloof is normally misty, drizzly, shitty type of weather with very little heat units to make anything grow, but some days probably 5 in 25 it can be quite warm and very humid!
This season however it has been very,very dry and hot,  right up my street but unfortunately the pastures aren't growing because we have run out water for irrigation, the cows enjoy the dry conditions no mud equals no foot rot and mastitis!
Yesterday was a perfect Karkloof summers day 10 degrees, misty, drizzly, grey and I had the absolute shits, so I decided to give my heat chamber a go. I put the air conditioner on at 30 degrees max couldn't go any more, set up my treadmill and started running. After 20min the temp inside went up to 36 degrees with 55% humidity ( I know this because we have a weather station at Bartersfield that measures inside conditions as well), I ran for 1 hour at 13km/hour and I must say it was a workout of note! There was no air  movement so breathing was hard it felt like someone was sitting on my chest, my core body  temperature went up to 38.9 degrees don't ask our I measured this, just remember I take rectal temperatures of cows everyday. So Digits hot box worked  not something that Ryan Sandes would train in but it was good enough for me, one problem though I was supposed to run for 1h30 had to cut the session short, tooo much boontjies the night before eeeishhh really compromised my breathing no ventilation BOSS!

No comments:

Post a Comment