Sunday, October 3, 2010

THE BONGA-BONGA LEAF

If you don't know the bonga-bonga is a Zulu word given to an alien invasive plant that occurs through out KZN. One of the golden rules of running ultra distances (so I have learnt) is to never leave home without toilet paper! When nature calls nature calls and that's that BOSS! I did a 25km training trail run on Saturday and I did not run with my backpack only a water bottle (you see where this is going), and on Saturday morning I must of over done on the protein drink. It turned out to be the longest 25km run I have ever done. 8 km into the run my first stomach cramp and I thought it was just wind, but fortunately I did not let it go in fear of  follow through!! A quick side step and duck behind a bush only to realise NO TOILET PAPER! The landing gear was down and there was no turning back, looking around frantically I saw my saviour the BONGA-BONGA, with its large fury leaves. As A conservationist I can honestly say that  was the only time I was happy to see an alien plant!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment